Holla Back!!!

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Jane, you ignorant slut



I've been looking around for a good daycare to put Jack into. As much as it pains me to do it, we could really use the second paycheck. And since Jack will be an only child I think it's good for him to learn how to play with other kids and not become a selfish bastard. Plus, he's gonna need something to talk to his therapist about someday and this will just be one more thing he can blame me for.

We've only gone to a few places so far, but I think I've found one that I like. However, in my search I came across something troubling and I'd like to complain about it.

At one place we went to I was inquiring about how they feed the kids. Some places feed them everything and at others you supply the food. FYI, Jack doesn't eat real adult food yet, he's still eating the stuff in the jars. This is completely normal for a lot of kids and he isn't underweight or anything. Not to mention that I still breastfeed him (and I will gladly pat myself on the back for that). Back to the story, she told me that they supply all the food and I told her he still eats baby food. And here's exactly what she said back to me:

What does your doctor say about that?

Well FECK YOU too woman!!! I was so pissed but I thought maybe I was overreacting. So then I asked her what was on the menu and she showed it to me. 90% of the food they give them has meat in it. I told her we didn't eat meat and if that was going to be a problem. She looked at me like I was from Antarctica or something and then told me that she'd never had any vegetarian kids in there before. I know we live in a rural area but that seems cragy to me. Do 1 year olds really need chicken fettucini and spaghetti with meat sauce (these were on the menu)? I really don't think so. Then she began questioning me about where he gets his protein. She really needs an education in nutrition if she thinks that dead animal flesh is the only place to get one's protein.

We thanked the lady, promptly left the daycare center, and decided right then that we would not be sending Jack there. Shouldn't daycare places be sensitive to the beliefs and choices of parents?

3 Comments:

Blogger BLAND said...

My thinking is that with all the contraversy over the vegan parents that almost starved their baby to death, nannies and day care people don't wanna risk going to jail for malnourishing babies with only nuts (heh. nuts) and soy? Either way, I can only imagine how tough it will be to put lil Jack in daycare. If you pay for my housing and food, i'll move to seattle and be Jack's nanny. And molest him when you're not looking. JK.

10:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's pretty crazy they won't respect what YOU want to feed YOUR kid.

First, isn't he still under 1 year? Your supposed to give them baby food and breast milk or formula anyway until they’re ready, not fettuccini and other solid stuff, especially because not every baby gets teeth early (My daughter didn't have her 1st tooth until her 1st birthday).

We use a family child care- a wonderful lady (she used to be an elementary school teacher before she had her boys) who just watches a few kids in her home, she also teaches them with a pre-school curriculum so she's not just "babysitting". She raised 4 sons, now grown, and none of them are delinquent which goes against the law of averages so I figured she was pretty damn good with kids.

Our daughter had to be on soy formula because of allergies and she totally respected whatever we wanted to feed her - solid meatless food included.

There are plenty of vegetarian/vegan parents. I'd run for the hills too if they wouldn't respect that.

Our home childcare is licensed by the state (regular, unannounced inspections). Another advantage is there are only 3 other kids and they're all the same age so there are no school age kids around (Germ Factories)

I found her by vigorously scouring the state licensing board website inspections (Her inspections were perfect). I think every state has a website with that information available. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Tanya

7:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU DON'T EAT NO MEAT?? It's ok, I make Lamb!

3:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home