Holla Back!!!

Monday, October 02, 2006

Madonna may love NY, but I know many who don't



I just got off the phone with my friend Michael who lives in New York. He has lived there for many years now and has decided he is moving somewhere in March. He doesn't even know what state he will be moving to, he just has to get out of NY. I find that astonishing. He's even told his work already that he will be leaving and they have already hired his replacement.

I know that it's stressing out Ann and Jenny and as much as I miss it I really felt ready to move away from there when I did. What I must wonder is why people spend their whole lives there when it is no easy feat to live there. Especially with a family and everything. I really don't understand why so many immmigrants stay there. I realize it might be a good start but I would move somewhere cheaper.

So what is it about New York that is so hypnotic and exciting but also so incredibly aggrivating? The people, the surroundings, the price of everything? And how do you pick your next destination once you have decided to leave?? Well, to all of you who are itching to get out, I suggest picturesque western Washington. We have stinky hippies, serial killers, flannel shirts, lots of trees, the water, mountains, beautiful views, cute neighborhoods, more coffee shacks than you could imagine and ME!

2 Comments:

Blogger BLAND said...

Both my sisters moved to Seattle a year or so ago. It's very different and as Mike and I discovered on our trip out there last spring, seattle is in a word, PROGRESSIVE. The only litter I saw was an avocado shell. REALLY!

What's great about NYC: anonymous sex whenever you want. 24 hour places, not that I take advantage of it by buying TP at 3am at a bodega. Bodegas have everything; overpriced, but great. Where else can you buy a dew rag, a lock, milk and dusty bottles of shampoo? (And alot of nicer bodegas are Korean delis, so it's good to help out my peeps.) The bars don't close at 2am. I once was at Boat on Smith Street 'til 6am. NYC has a variety of restaurants, yet I still go to the same places: Olive Garden and Silk Road! You can walk right by a celeb at any given moment (Howard Stern, Chris Noth, Gaby Hoffman in the gym).

Things that suck about NYC: stupid people, the cragy people, it's too expensive, it's impossible to own an apartment unless you're a doctor/lawyer/investment banker. Stupid people. Shitty men to date. Slutty show pony women. Not being able to have a dog since alot of apts say "No pets". Oh, and the tourists who walk slow.

But NYC has its charms...and those charms are dull, old, boring and irritate me. I'm outta here in two years.

4:37 PM

 
Blogger ms. flipz said...

the five boroughs have been my home since birth. my whole family is here. nothing else feels as comfortable to me. i go berserk when i'm away from the chaos too long. i think i like being a little fish. part of the teeming masses. i'm not sure what it is.

yes. it's expensive, overcrowded, overworked, smelly, noisy, stressed out and generally bad for you. but i love it too much.

it is time for me to go somewhere else for a while. but i made nate promise that we can come back if i start to lose it. so who knows where we will end up for the next three years. i'm kind of excited to find out... unless it's Jersey.

12:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home