Holla Back!!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Pop Fart



I am sitting here watching this really interesting show on PBS about Andy Warhol. I've never been a big Warhol fan. I'm sure many people would call me a blasphemer but I just don't necessarily think he was a genius. I, like most people, was only really familiar with his later works but they were showing a bunch of his earlier stuff that was mostly comprised of graphic art and drawings.

I really never knew much about his life before. it was kind of sad really. he had a bizarre childhood and before he became a super-famous ego maniac he was a pretty sad and pathetic person. He hated the way he looked, hated intimacy, was awkward and embarassing.

I guess the biggest problem I've always had with him is how he had his drugged-out groupies churning out his work for him at the end of his life. it just doesn't seem like you can call something your own when you have somebody else do it for you.

Collin made an interesting comparison to paris hilton being like andy warhol. seems weird at first but it kind of makes sense. i remember when i was living in new york, no one outside of new york or LA even knew who she was. and then all of a sudden she's everywhere. and she herself becomes more famous than anything that she's done. she's becomes "pop" just like Andy became "pop." They both want to be the most famous people in the world, simply for the sake of being famous. I don't know why that bothers me, but it does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home